Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Francoise - feedback to group members

Having examined all lists and given feedback , it has reinforced to me the idea that technology needs to be implemented when it offers a real advantage and improves achieving the goals of a particular learning activity.

Susan Comp tutorials vs. human tutors

Your list of affordances for Computer Tutorials is very thorough, including the type of learning and instruction that takes place, how feedback is provided depending on mastery etc…
Same with the Human tutor, and I really like what you emphasize there - the human touch and how it can adapt more effectively to the situation.
Great list of learning activities with example - thank you - learned a lot!
Do you use some of these at Greystone?
I am crazy about technology - yet I know it can never replace live human interaction with others.
As with all of the tools, there needs to be a balance between the use of the tool and learning without the technology tool to preserve basic skills.


Paula Spreadsheets vs. hand calculation

The "advantages" you showed in the list of Excel affordances address both practical real life and technology skills that can be learned using Excel. I like the way the activities provide real-life experiences/applications as in Budget, practicing What if scenarios, and the order of algebraic expressions. The activities also support visual learning, and offer opportunities for students to use skills that go beyond knowledge learning. It also seems that the activities you listed could be adapted to work with different grade levels. Do you agree? How practical would it be to implement some of these activities in your content area, and in your school?
As for the hand calculations, I guess it is important to keep children learning skills that do not rely entirely on other tools or there is a loss of basic skills (not knowing to add and do fractions etc…) - I guess a good balance between using tools and still being able to perform fundamentals?


Kathrin - Powerpoint vs. Poster/Transparencies

Your list of affordances for PowerPoint is showing exactly what can be accomplished by the software, and I agree PowerPoint allows to organize materials for presentation and appeals to visual learners. Interesting what you are saying about the authenticity that comes with the poster/transparency where one creates the material a little more from scratch. Because of the very visual aspect of PowerPoint, I suspect this tool can appeal to all students to create content, and I agree with you on the indirect learning of technology skill while creating content. Are you planning to implement some of these learning activities with very young students?


Emily - Word vs. Paper Pencil

In your list of Word affordances , you show well the value of using such a tool to generate and present written content. As with the other tools, it is good to keep a balance between the basic skills without tools, and using the tool as well. For instance, I noticed some time ago that as I use the computer more and more, my hand-writing was getting really bad, and decided to make a conscious effort to correct this.
I like the activities which are real-life. I think it is good to be able to match the tool to the useful applications it can have in life, and I suspect it makes the learning of it more meaningful . How feasible would it be for you to use Word in these learning activities for elementary special education and in your particular school?